Honky Tonkin in Nashville

New Orleans has Bourbon Street, Barcelona has La Rambla and Paris has the Champs de Elysee. And Nashville has Broadway. When you visit one of these cities, you want to experience one of it's most famous .....well, experiences. Touristy or not, most of the time it's reputation has preceeded it and you want to experience it - at least one time, right?

Nashville has been known for country music since the Grand Ole Opry started at the Mother Church - the Ryman. And thousands of country music star hopeful's head to Nashville each year to be discovered. There are probably hundreds of honky tonks all over Music City but the most well known are along Broadway in downtown Nashville. Any given night you can crowd into one of the small -or large- bars along Broadway and hear some fantastic music - some country and some not. 



I've been fortunate enough to visit Nashville dozens of times but I had never gone honky tonkin on Broadway. Until my last visit. We started at Acme Feed & Seed at the lower end of Broadway  - which was packed to the gills - and enjoyed a beverage at the 2nd floor bar. (There is a popular rooftop bar here but there was absolutely no room) We worked our way down Broadway ending the night at Tootsie's rooftop bar. Along the way we heard some awesome music, talked to some fun fellow honky tonkers and did some of the best people watching I've ever done.









Would I go even if I'm not a country music fan? Yes - there are all types of music happening though the obvious majority is country. And most importantly, would I do it again? You betcha!









Where to go honky tonkin on Broadway:
Acme Feed & Seed - Four floors including a farm store, restaurant, sushi bar and rooftop bar, they bill themselves as an "experience"
Wildhorse Saloon - Technically a block off Broadway, the Wildhorse is 3 floors of bars, food and entertainment with line dancing lessons daily. And they have horses on the ceiling!
Rock Bottom Brewpub- I'm not sure this officially qualifies as a honky tonk as it's part of a national chain of brewpubs. But along with it's restaurant there is live music on it's rooftop bar.
Tin Roof - Also part of a chain, the Tin Roof is a casual eatery with live music
Honky Tonk Central - Three floors of bar food and live music
Roberts Western World - Boot shop by day and honky tonk by night - I think that says it all!
Paradise Park Trailer Resort - A diner with live music
The Stage on Broadway - One of the most famous honky tonks on Broadway it has live country music, cold beer and dancing
Rippy's Bar and Grill - Known for it's BBQ and bar food, Rippy's also has a rooftop bar with live music
Tootsie's - A teeny tiny purple bar that has expanded to 3 levels, Tootsie's is another of the most famous honky tonks in Nashville
Legends Corner - A most classic of the honky tonks, legend has it that Loretta Lynn's kids used to sit on the bar while their mother sang at the Opry behind it.
(This route starts at lower Broadway and works it way to the Bridgestone Arena.)
There are always new places popping up - there is a Margaritaville and AJ's (as in Alan Jackson)Good Times Bar. You can also visit George Jones and Johnny Cash's museums - each just a block off Broadway. So you can make an afternoon of it - a day of it - or a week of it. You choose.





How about you? Have you honky tonked on Broadway in Nashville?


Thanks to everyone for your prayers for those affected by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. My mom and brother live in Naples, Florida about 45 miles from Marco Island where Irma made landfall as a Category 3. We heard from them immediately after the storm and they are ok with no damage to their residence. Since then we haven't heard from them as power is still out and cell service is out. Power is expected to be back by September 22nd and school open by September 20 - currently 54 of the 60 schools have no power. It will be a long rebuild - as it will in all of those places affected by Harvey and Irma. Please don't forget and continue to send prayers and if you can, donations. Thank you!


This post is part of a link-up with: Weekend Travel Inspiration at Reflections Enroute, The Weekly Postcard at Travel Notes and Beyond, The Weekend Wanderlust Travel Blog Party and Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox!














Comments

  1. Oh I loooove Nashville and bouncing around from one bar to the next for the live music!! #wkendtravelinspiration (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to do it again- it just makes my favorite city all the more awesome! Thanks for visiting, Lori!

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds like so much fun. I would love to do it. Hope the power gets back on and the clean up in Naples progresses so everything can get back to normal. Your photos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan- the power is back on as of yesterday at my family's and school's will start up again this week. Then maybe stores and banks can get it going, too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I love visiting Nashville, and going to a honky tonk seems like a must when visiting. I've been to quite a few that you mentioned, but I particularly like the history of Tootsie's. You are so right that you don't need to like country music to enjoy the Broadway honky tonks. I remember hearing covers of pop hits, classic rock songs, and even the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme song when I visited. Also glad to hear that your family made it through Irma OK. I have a lot of friends and family in Florida as well, and luckily most of them are just dealing with debris and power outages. #WeekendWanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin for the good thoughts. Glad to hear that your friends and family are ok, too. It will be a long rebuilding process but thankful that everyone I know has been ok. And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  4. I am really lost in terms of what Nashville has to offer. I have heard about the great food but didn't know about Broadway Street or the term "honkey tonkin." Good to learn about all these thru your posts since I want to be prepared to experience the city. #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashville is quite the renaissance city with good food, good music and the arts. Plus funky shopping and some funky neighborhoods. Hope you make it there someday and enjoy it! Thanks for visiting, Ruth!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the great post! I'm actually planning a trip to Nashville for next summer. I'm still trying to get an idea of what all I want to do and where to go, so thanks for the great suggestions! I'll definitely be keeping these in mind when I do my trip planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy your trip - Nashville is such a fun city - and be prepared for some heat in the summer. Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  6. I have brothers in the Nashville area, and they have yet to take me Honky Tonkin! I must do something about this. I'm so sorry to hear of your family being affected by the hurricane. I'm a Tennessee girl, but my heart is in Florida. I try to go as much as I possible can. I love that place. I pray the recovery is quick for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts Amanda! My family was extremely lucky and it looks like Florida is moving forward as quickly as they can. And I hope you go to go honky tonkin soon!

      Delete
  7. I've never been in Nashville, so obviously I've never heard the term "honkey tonkin." I'm always glad to learn about places I've never visited and decide if they would be interesting for me. It seems that Nashville has a lot to offer, so if an opportunity arrives I'll make sure to jump on it. Thanks for sharing this on #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashville has really come into it's own over the last decades and isn't just country music anymore. I hope if you visit that you see some of the funky neighborhoods, eat some delicious southern food and get a chance to go "honky tonkin" Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I haven't been to Nashville but it's on my list of places I want to see! I've never heard of the term "honkey tonkin" but we'd love to go to broadway to honkey tonk haha! The city seems to be so alive and fun! I wouldn't mind going spending time there even if there are a lot of tourists. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make it there someday - I think you would love it! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  9. We love NashVegas! I think Roberts Western World is my favorite, there was a really great musician the night we went in and the place was hoppin. I would go back and honky-tonk again, it is truly hilarious and fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was some of the best people watching ever - as you said, it truly is hilarious and fun! Thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete
  10. We have never been to Nashville. But, if we do, we'd love to go Honky Tonkin. What a fun way to spend the night. Glad to hear your mom and brother are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! And thanks for visiting The Unpaved Road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts